Happy New Year to one and all – I hope your festivities were all you wished for. Personally mine were great – pulled up the drawbridge on the Friday and relaxed. I caught up on my reading five books in six days – played with new software – dreamed dreams and wove wonderful worlds in my mind. I did not touch my publications or WIP at all – soooo hard that last one!
I indulged in some housework mainly on this old machine – deleted unwanted filed wanted into folders – named them all so that in theory I can find instantly whatever I want – in theory:) I also did some around the house not so much fun.
I did begin to tidy the ‘book room’ grand title for our attic which is full of bookshelves and thousands of books – hasn’t really had a good sort out since we arrived here 10 years ago. Trouble with sorting out books is that because one HAS to stop and check out the old favourites, put aside TBR ones and generally say hi to each and every treasure – very little gets done in a long time. But that was fun..
I took stock of what I had achieved last year – a great deal it seems and also what I hadn’t – a lot. So have drawn up plans (I never plan) This year I must be more careful of self – I neglected me last year in my haste to achieve. So taking what others did last year I am including health in my goals. It will be slow getting health back – but small amounts of exercise each day will I hope lead to enough fitness to dance my way to dropping 2 stone (my goal for 2012) – that would still leave me seriously overweight but hey 2 stone is 2 stone right?
I want more time to get on with my crafts and family history research and also reading (see my reading challenges on alberta reads ) and gardening and so have planned only to write full time five days a week – it matters not which five days- leaving me two to do what I like in. I have also capped my days to nine hours writing only. Allowing me evenings as well.
Whether it is possible on this timetable to reach my writing goals only time will tell and I might well have to reconsider all of them before the year is out.
So Round One (see page for the whole year)
1) I have decided to e-book small collections of short stories, so as each mini book is ready I’ll put it out there and then when there are three I will print the whole collection. With that in mind I have the first ones ready they just need final editing and licking into shape – hope to have them e-booked by end of round;.
2) I have 64ooo of Blue Moon written so this round would like to have finished, or near enough of, 1st drafted by end of Febuary so that I can edit during NaNoEdMo in March – if not the whole, most of it.
3) I need to research around the next Sefuty Chronicle Ancestor’s Tale – as it is written from 6 different viewpoints there is war/chaos – religion/secularism and survival/despair so I have a deal of reading to do. Hope to begin the writing in the next round.
4) Have sorted out interests into 4 blogs and drawn up a list of topics for each. So need to get act together and post more often. I have another guest coming onto Red Carpet Day on the 17th – I do like this section so if anyone is planning a tour/spotlight or would like to guest post or spotlight their writing in any way do let me know.
5) Need to make a trailer for Ellen’s Tale – have been offered an author of the month spot in Feb and am hoping to partake in Adopt an Indie so think having 2 trailers would be useful (if not I do have 1)
6) Need to network more often and to visit blogs and comment more often.
7) Read every day
8) Exercise a little every day – longer sessions 3 times a week
I have a fantasy of my own – to write a fantasy, well I’m thinking more in the line of a myth/legend/creation type of story, for NaNo this year. Outside my comfort zone but I do indulge in my short stories so thought I might have a go – so must let ideas percolate – any advice/suggestions would be more than welcome. Am taking a couple of workshops on world building and last year I took a couple on myths/legends -and one of my reading challenges is all about these stories so hoping to get new perspectives on the subject.
So plenty to keep me busy – away from the street corners:) How is everyone else feeling- flexing mental muscles with anticipation I hope – all the best for this round and for this week.