The sun is out, Alberta is a happy bunny and so far the New Year is behaving relatively well.
A writers life is slowly returning after far too long a break.
I eased back in with blogging, commenting on social media and a rough draft of a couple new chapters.
This last week I decided to spring clean (again) this Tale which has meandered through heart failure, chronic depression and two years of spring cleaning the neglect of house and garden.
This Tale which started as
a story about ancestors,
becoming a hybrid of two generations,
falling to the axe and being
truncated into two Tales, becoming more recently
a Tale of the children and
a collection of short stories.
This Tale which
has been written over nearly four years.
Beginning life as a straight narration, changing into
1st person only narration
Into interviews from three different viewpoints
To restore some order.
To take control
To be the boss!!!
This last week I collected together every bit of writing concerning The Children’s Tale (not the ancestors bit that had been put away a couple of years ago, with 24,439 words) just The Children’s Tale.
Systematically labelled them, discovering so many duplicates of chapters and incidents my head whirled!
I numbered them all.
I read them all
Made choices as to which to keep which to take away.
I reduced an unwieldy 228,184 words down to more satisfying 81,704
A reduction 146,480 words! I might even allow myself a WOW here and it is not a word I use normally:)
Then I trolled through these 81,704 words and 2nd drafted 9,691 words of them – the second draft for me is a basic spelling check and repeated words. I have changed these to blue print so that I can instantly see which is which. Also on this draft I have made notes of queries, missing stuff- i.e. minor characters names.
I was on a roll last week. My mind felt like it had come out of a dusty cobwebby under the stair cupboard at last!
All this is in Scrivener so there is plenty of space for notes, corrections, changes etc.
In doing all this work I have in effect read the whole (more than once) and discovered pretty dire weaknesses, holes in plots and still some confusion of time lines.
Having been written over such a long period and in so many ways and so many states of health and fatigue, in between spells of illness, lethargy and depression has left it in urgent need of some unity. However, after the drastic prune and tidy up I can see the outline again and feel optimistic I can bring it to a conclusion.
I am wondering if a complete re-write of, if not all, a great deal of it would be better than trying to re-tweak it. The re-read has shown up many instances where trying to tweak it would take longer than just re-writing. So must make some decisions before I go much further.
On the blogging front I have managed
Over on kissafrog catching up on my race with scrumbles
my website is discussing seeds and their importance.
I am thinking of starting a learning something new every day meme. Maybe this next week.
Networking: have caught up with Triberr and Facebook begun again on Twitter and keeping my reading on Goodreads up to date, Behind on ROW80 so will do better, promise:)